Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 motor thoughts - Batteries
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:07:49 +1000

Tim Atherton wrote:

>  > The new motordrive will NOT work on AA batteries, it only runs on the
> > NiMH battery pack (weight together with motordrive is 680 gr).
> >
> > Pascal
> > NO ARCHIVE
>
> Hmm - is this another piece of "Leica" genius that is supposed to discourage
> professionals from using the system?
>
> I would seriously consider switching to leica R's for my SLR's if it wasn't
> for idiocy like this.
>
> Tim A

  Well said. Exactly my sentiments. It is hard to believe, how a company who
makes such superb products as Leitz-Leica, can stuff up like this.

For my Pentax Super-A, I have a winder, and a motor drive. Both use standard AA
cells
or AA NI-Cads. They are relatively cheap and easy to get. You can by them at any
milk bar or corner shop. if needed.
That whole business with using specialized batteries is ,In my opinion,
regressive. The problem (besides price) is always availability.
It is even more stupid, to develop equipment which runs only of rechargeable
batteries.
I challenge anybody to find a power point to recharge the batteries somewhere in
the Australian Bush or in the dessert.
The reason, I don't have a M6 anymore , is the idiotic light metering and the
even more idiotic off-on switch for the light meter. It is hard to believe, that
a superb tool like a M6
has the worst way of stopping the light meter battery from running down.

It seems to me, when it comes to the mechanics, Leica is tops. When it comes to
the electronics, Leica is the pits.

Regards, Horst Schmidt