Subject: [Leica] Re:E. Adams & Vietnam Photo
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:00:29 -0400

Eric Welch wrote:
> And there is no wonder they look alike, they're of the same event! Is that
> so hard to figure? In Vietnam, there were lots of journalists all over the
> place.

Same event yes, same vantage point?? that's the question.
I've shot lots of stuff during film work, but always slightly off the center
line, left or right of the camera position. My still camera cannot occupy
the same space as the film camera (and usually there's three or four persons
deep around it making me get even further off line.)

But maybe my memory is failing and I just think they (the single frame of
Adams' and the moving picture segment by an NBC cameraman) are very close.

Someone here volunteered the part about the confiscation thing. I don't have
it on my machine anymore- care to repost?? Just wondering what that was all
about- 'taking the film to determine bullet speed', something like that?

I heard the executed (murdered?) man was 'suspected' of being VC. He had no
papers, nor weapon, had his hands tied and was presented to the General.
After a very brief exchange the General nonchalantly takes his pistol out
and kills the man, turns and walks away. Somebody here volunteered the
General had just had a good friend die (something to that effect); any more
info on that??