Subject: Re: [Leica] Plastic Aspheric Lens Elements
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:10:12 +0200

>Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:49:00
>From: Art Sala <artsala@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Plastic Aspheric Lens Elements

>Ken:
>
>I heard that Zeiss is the only lens manufacturer that has the ability
>to grind glass aspheric elements.  Then again, I don't know if it matters
>(photographically speaking)  whether the aspheric element is ground glass,
>moulded plastic or some sandwiched hybrid.  Maybe some other lug lens
>guru can give more technical insight.
>
>Cheers, Arturo

>From: "Ken Iisaka" <kiisaka@ibm.net>
>To: Internet Mail::[<leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>]
>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Plastic Aspheric Lens Elements
>Date: 9/12/99 8:47 PM
>
>The Noct-Nikkor was indeed hand ground.  The one and only guy who was
>responsible for making the aspherical front element retired years ago,
>and
>the production ceased several years ago.  It is still listed on Nikon
>USA's
>catalogue, but it was taken out of the Nikon Japan catalogue about a couple=
>
>of years ago.
>
>Several Japanese publications such as Asahi Camera have stated that Hoya
>supplies moulded aspherical elements to Leica.
>
>> Leica uses glass in its ASPH lenses.  They *may* use plastic in their
>> 'lower' priced Japanese made zooms, though I am not sure of this.  Nikon
>> certainly uses plastic resin elements in some of its aspherica zooms.
>> suspect that their 50/1.2 Nocti uses glass.  Not sure about Canon or
>Zeiss.
>>  I think you can tell by the relative price.  Plastic aspheric elements
>are
>> designed to produce decent optics at lower prices.  Many of the aspheric
>> zooms offered by sigma and other 3rd party lens manufacturers employ
>> plastic elements.
>
>- --=PMail:=_0000@@uCV5Ob00sdmDdkxmQawU--

In the well-known photographic review Leica foto (n°7/97, pp.26-9, french
edition)there is an interesting paper on the Leica asph lenses :

1°) There are no plastic asph element in the Leica lenses, even in the
"japanese" lenses (4/35-70).

2°) The Leica technology is a "polishing" (? "polissage" in french) by
CNC.There is a picture of the machine :i read "SLP-100 made by Schneider".

3°) Zeiss(op.cit., p.28) was the first to develop an hybrid technology : an
"plastic" asph element put on a spherical element.

Dominique Pellissier