Subject: Re: [Leica] Planning to get an M3
From: "Ken Iisaka" <kiisaka@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:20:22 -0700

From: Peter Niessen <niessen@ifh.de>
> although this group seems to be busy with the new M7, maybe someone
> can give me some advice. Today I saw an early M3 at a dealer, it had
> no preview lever and times 1,2,5,10... and was a double stroke. The
> (oterwise uncharismatic) dealer allowed me gracefully (,,if it makes
> you happy'') to try all times and I was astonished how smooth and
> solid the shutter trips. However, I was a bit unsure about the double
> stroke feature. Does it a long time to get used to it? I also heard
> that double stroke is not serviceable if it breaks (on Erwin's page?).

I would much rather talk about M3 than M7 or 8.  I have a late double-stroke
M3 and a high magnification M6 (non-TTL) which serve my purpose very well.
I much prefer the feel of the former, but the lightmeter can be very
convenient at times.

I personally find myself winding in two strokes, even if I am using the M6,
Nikon F3/T, or Pentax SP-II.  I find it easier to keep my eyes at the
viewfinder this way.  This is one of the reasons I now rarely use my Nikon
FM2 which has to be wound in a single stroke.  Because of the age,
double-stroke models may be more failure prone.