Subject: RE: [Leica] re: Leica M - small and compact?? thoughts (long)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:28:07 -0000

That size and weight advantage has eroded since the SLR tidal wave swept
35mm in the '60s. Compared to the top line professional 35mm SLRs, the
Leica M has a size advantage still but it's much less than it used to be.

- ---
Hardly...Given that the top of the professional line means Nikon F5, a house
with a lens on it, the Canon EOS 1n or even EOS 3, houses with lenses, or
the new Minolta - I doubt that anyone would call an FM2 a top of the line
pro camera by today's standards.

As to the F3, it's a great camera, but it is considerably bulkier than the
M6...

I'd argue that the only SLR that really compares in terms of size is the
Olympus Om3/4...
- -----

Compared to professional calibre 35mm SLRs like the Nikon FM2n, the
advantage is virtually non-existent. A Leica M with 28, 50, 90mm lenses
consumes almost exactly the same space as a Nikon FM2n with the same
lenses in my camera bag, and the weight difference is mere ounces.

- ----

Ounces add up...and, by the way, compare your Nikkor 50 1.4 to the Summilux
50, or the Summicron 50 to the Nikkor 50 f2...or even more to the point, the
35 1.4 Nikkor to the 35 Summilux ASPH....
- --------
I have owned and sold several Leica Ms over the years. I think I
understand why I sold them now ... it finally dawned on me why I was
unhappy with them. You see, I was trying to think of the Leica M as a
more compact Nikon FM with fabulous Leica glass and a rangefinder, just
limited to lenses shorter than 135. That's the wrong concept.

- ---

Right..it is the wrong concept...reflex....rangefinder....two totally
different photographic esthetics. Neither is good or bad per se when
compared to the other...but if there really wasn't any difference, there
would no longer be a Leica M...and that isn't even taking any glass
difference into account...
- -----

Nowadays, I'm seeing things from a new perspective: "Pick the cameras
that do what you want with the most ease."

- ------

That's precisely what the perspective should always be...

I wouldn't, by the way, get too hung up on the "precise" framing of the
SLR...Granted, different people work differently,  but I know that I, for
one, frame much more precisely with my M than I do or ever did with any
Nikon or other reflex, precisely because the M gives me framelines, and
therefore reminds me of the importance of framing. I find that with the
reflex, I am more intent on the subject per se than I am on the over all
composition of the photo, thus when I look at the finished results, I find
that my M shots tend to be better composed and framed than do my reflex
shots..
- -----
- -----

The Leica M now competes when I want that other kind of flexibility: when
I don't want and will not hire the pack mule, when flexibility is defined
by using as little as possible to do as much as possible, when freedom is
defined as being able to stop thinking about lens choices and concentrate
more on what a lens can see. Here is where it competes with the modern
generation of compacts on size, weight and flexibility. I'm not talking
the $100 PnS cameras ... obviously, they do not have the lens
sophistication to compete with Leica RFs ... but in the Rollei 35S, Nikon
35Ti, Minox 35GT-E, Ricoh GR1, Contax T2, Leica Minilux fixed lens
cameras, you are approaching comparable lens quality and much smaller,
lighter packages.
- ----

Hey, if a rangefinderless Minox makes you as photographically happy as an
M6, go for it...If you really think that when you by a Minilux you're
getting anything close to a "real" Leica, go for it - you'll make the Nomes
of Solms extremely happy.

Yes, there are some great point&shoots...In fact, I would suggest that some
of the cheaper ones you would blow off are virtually everybit as good as the
$1000 badge carriers you prefer. Give me an Olympus Stylus Epic in the glove
compartment or my briefcase any day. If I want better quality, I'll go with
the M, whether or not I want to carry extra lenses...

And as was noted on this list yesterday...it's pretty easy to sling an M6
with a lens over your shoulder and throw a second lens and a few rolls of
film in a sports jacket or any other pocket....

Cheers..

B. D.

By the way, as longer-time Luggers know, I am NOT in any way a member of the
Leica Right or Wrong Etc. brigade. I just find that the M is the best tool
for what I want to do photographically. My P&S is an Olympus, and my reflex
is a 27-year-old Nikon F....