Subject: Re: [Leica] Red bump re-gluing question
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:40:22 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/99 3:15:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
joe-b@dircon.co.uk writes:

<< Today I found that something has happened to the only Leica lens I ever
 bought new- the 50mm Elmar-M. The red bump has come off. I have the
 dislodged red bump safely contained in a film tub and am meditating on
 re-attaching it. I would be inclined to use cyano-acrylic type "superglue",
 but I thought it would make sense to ask if anyone has any other better
 suggestions. It is a chrome lens, if that makes a difference. I hope to be
 conducting the procedure later today. ;-)

 Joe Berenbaum >>

Cyanoacrylate cements have exceptional compressive strength (remember the
commercial with the guy hanging from the cherrypicker by his hardhat?) but
much weaker shear strength.  Since the most likely cause of red bump
dislodgement would be a hit from the side rather than a straight pull, epoxy
or even contact cement would probably be better assuming it will adhere to
the bump itself.  Both are also more likely to withstand extremes in
temperature and differences in expansion of the unlike materials than crazy
glue which is quite brittle.  Another good choice would be the automotive
cement which is used to bond plastic moulding trim and weatherstripping to
metal.

If you do go with crazy glue, keep it and its fumes away from the glass.  You
would be amazed (and saddened) at the permanent white haze it will impart to
the coating.  (Don't ask me how I found out.  Too painful a story.)