Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: Stabilizing a CF tripod
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:13:32 -0700

At 11:27 AM 9/20/99 -0700, Jim Laurel wrote:

>But this whole thread on tripods seems to miss the point of the M camera.
>If I'm carrying a tripod, it's generally for use with the R or the
>M7...Mamiya 7, that is ;-).  I prefer using the small Bogen tabletop tripod
>with the Ms.
>
>--Jim

This is not missing the point of the M camera. There are times, such as
during a long holiday (all of September in Europe) that one needs to use a
tripod. Not everything can be hand held. While exploring old castles or the
many many other very low light situations, a tripod is very useful. Of the
forty rolls of transparency film that I exposed that month, perhaps  twenty
situations called for a tripod. Long lens, low light, extreme DOF needed,
etc. The 1228 with Gitzo strap hung over my shoulder without ever being
noticed by me, until I needed a tripod. Carry the tripod with the head down
as it is the heaviest end.

I just printed some 20x24 Cibachromes from that trip. I showed one to Ted
on Friday night. Sharp and crisp. 35/1.4 ASPH on Fuji 100/1000 at 200. This
particular photograph was hand held. But in order to produce large prints
from 35mm transparencies, one must be prepared to use the necessary tools.
And sometimes that tool is a tripod.

Jim B.