Subject: [Leica] Business cards and photographs of other people
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:21:55 -0700

This idea is not aimed at professional photographers with studios who need to
impress other people.

I have done several surveys in very low income neighborhoods.  I ask questions
such as how many people live here?  What was your last years income?  Frankly
getting this information is a tough sell for a lot of reasons.  My success
rate went up dramatically when I figured out how to make a business card that
went a long ways to calming their fears.  Only twice out of about 2,000
interviews have I felt really threatened by people.  Dogs who can put their
paws on my shoulder are another story.

Basically the key was to put my picture on the card.  (Everyone says it looks
like me ... but I am not that old and my hair is not that white and...).  In
addition to the picture the card has my name, post office box address,
telephone number, fax number and e-mail address.  I no longer put a profession
designation on the card, but instead put a project title on instead.   I made
the card design using standard software and print it on cardboard stock using
a laser printer.  A good looking silken designer card ... no.  Effective -
Yes.

Of course to be paranoid, my card might show up at a crime scene ... nah, we
have a lot of good attorneys on the LUG who will help me out.

Regards, Bill Larsen  ohlen@lightspeed.net
who would rather be effective than conventionally right