Subject: [Leica] Expensive Anthony (and others).
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:03:11 +0100

Bryan and Larry wrote:

>I, for one, am proud that the LUG does not "ban" anyone - and I would not
>belong to a list that does.

I agree with Bryan's conclusion that the quickest way to avoid hassle from
compulsive posters (whoever they may be) is to consign the messages smartly
to the trash can without reading (remember my pal Oddmund?). Eudora's
filters are ideal for this. Nobody need 'ban' these guys - they just fade
away.

However, we're not so fortunate in Europe (and particularly in Ireland) in
having the luxury of 'free' local calls as in the US and Canada. My heart
sinks when I see (as this morning) 200 LUG messages about to be downloaded,
of which IMHO about 20% are relevant to the topics I joined the LUG for all
those years ago. I, for one, have to pay for the time.

I'm aware that one man's 'waste of bandwidth' is another's 'highly relevant
and interesting topic'. That's bound to be the case with the diversity of
the LUG.

By contrast, I had 24 messages this morning from the admittedly newish
Manual Focus Nikon group, and almost every one of them was worth reading
(IMHO, of course).

So hey guys and girls, let's use some common sense here, and keep posts
succinct, sweet and on-topic.

This is my first and last post on this thread - I'd hate to waste bandwidth
and run up other people's phone bills... :-)

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists