Subject: RE: [Leica] Loupe
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 18:02:52 -0400

I called Mr Maxwell and had a 30 minute conversation with him today.  Nice,
if pretty talkative guy.  I ordered one of his 6x loupes.  He said it comes
with both an opaque and transparent base.  I believe he said the lens was a
6 element design and the objective was 1.5" across.  It covers a full 35mm
frame.  Price: $250, not bad, considering other prices.   Arrival in 4-6
weeks, I'll let you know how it compares to my Schneider.

Incidently, he said that the Schneider and the Rodenstock were both made by
the same firm somewhere in Germany or Austria.

Skip

At 10/1/99 12:20 PM  -0700, you wrote:
>Eric,
>
>How can you say a mfr in Wetzlar makes abtter loupe when you have not seen
>the Maxwell? ;-)
>
>The Maxwell is pricey, around $225 but like all things of quality, you pay
>more.  Hence the reason you opt to use a very expensive camera and even more
>expensive lenses. 8-o
>
>Interesting point you make.  You just use a loupe to judge an image.  If
>that's the case just use a magnifying lens.
>
>Peter K

Skip Williams
Westfield, NJ
skipwilliams@pobox.com