Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters for black and white and perception of oneself
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 00:09:52 +0300

Jean-Claude Berger wrote:

> Hello Dan,
>
> Thanks a lot for this invaluable information. Just curious: do you
> remember the proportion of customers choosing the "with green filter"
> portrait vs. the "without filter" portrait? I don't have any
> experience in portrait; as far as I remember, I did one in 25 years of
> photography.

You did one portrait? Wooooow.........

> But I'm fascinated by the way people perceive themselves (of course
> because I worry about how others perceive myself :-) ). For example,
> I'm always disappointed by my own image that I consider too flat, too
> "smooth". I think I would prefer a "green filter" complexion... Is
> this attitude frequent enough or am I alone to be sick ;-)?

You're not alone. I've shot men with green and they were very happy.
Very ordinary people will just want a nice color pic, but people with a
bit more depth and individuality will be happy to see a picture of
themselves, not resembling the ones ma and pa used to take of them. I
might even be so blunt and elitist to say that the more educated the
subject, the stronger the hang for filters is likely to be.

Bernard