Subject: Re: [Leica] How much difference is there....really
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 22:30:37 -0500

At 03:51 AM 10/4/99 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>In fact, there's a lot more to a lens than resolution.  I'm regularly
>perplexed
>by the preoccupation with resolution that I often see among photographers,
>even
>though resolution is only an issue in about 0.00001% of all photographs.

I don't know where you get your statistics, Anthony, but I'm betting it's a
lot higher than that. Shoot, more photographers win the lottery than that.

But you are right, resolution is hardly the only issue, yet it keeps people
thinking that there is no advantage to Leica lenses other than sharpness
and "local contrast," or micro contrast.

You actually have to get out and USE Leica lenses in nasty conditions, with
fast film, and see how it handles lighting that lesser lenses don't handle
as well. Then they will see. But too many are only out shooting in ideal
conditions, where most lenses would do nicely.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Time is just one darn thing after another. - Anonymous