Subject: Re: [Leica] How much difference is there....really
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 10:27:14 -0500

At 03:59 PM 10/4/99 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>I was looking at a book of Associated Press photos a few days ago, and
>they were
>all excellent.  And none of them came anywhere near the theoretical resolution
>limits of either lenses or film--indeed, most had no more resolution than
>you'd
>get from a simple point-and-shoot.

Associated Press is staffed by people who are more concerned with speed
than image quality. This is the wrong group of photographers to be looking
at. As a photo editor who had to rely on the AP for photos from the world,
it was a rare day I was not sadly disappointed with what was available.

Don't get me wrong, they have some great photographers. Nick UT (the
Vietnam photo of the girl running from the napalming of her village was
his) still shoots for them. And some other great photographers. But in the
case of the Russian photographers who helped them win a Pulitzer several
years ago, I'll bet some were working with Zorkis or other cheap cameras by
our standards. Wire service photography is about the LAST place you want to
look for people fussy about their lenses. Especially now that their
staffers are almost 100 percent digital. Contributors from newspapers, not
so, but their staffers, yes.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Photographs that transcend but do not deny their literal situation appeal
to me.
	-Sam Abell; "Stay This Moment"