Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson paper/ink question
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 14:15:54 -0400

At 01:07 PM 10/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Tina,
>
>I'm going to upgrade my printer soon, as well.  Have you compared the
>output between the 1200 and the 3000?  Are you satisfied that the 3
>color+B&W inks of the 3000 equal the performance of the 4 color+B&W of the
>1200.  Any other considerations than the capacity of the ink cartridges?
>
>I have to drive to Washington DC (about 3 hrs) to see this stuff in the
>flesh, as it were, but your website tells me that your judgment in what
>makes a good print and mine can't be too far apart.
>
>Thanks for any feedback that you can give me.
>
>Chandos

Hi, Chandos -

It's my understanding that the upgrade will have the ink capacity of the
3000 but the 6-color inks of the 1200.  The 5000 and 9000 work like that
now, but I can't afford $10,000 for a printer!!!  I have the Photo EX now
and am tempted to go ahead and upgrade to the 1200, but the inks are so
expensive in the tiny amounts for the 1200's cartridges.  Somebody figured
out that it costs $8000 a gallon!  There is a comparison of the output of
all of the printers here:

  http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/news/dot_comp.html

The 17x enlargements really show a difference.  There is no doubt that the
1200 looks more photographic but a lot of fine-art photographers are using
the 3000 because it will accept any inks in refillable tanks and all kinds
of papers.  I'd like to have a combination of the two.  As with anything
related to computers, I'm afraid whatever I buy today will be obsolete
tomorrow!  They are coming out with new inks and papers everyday.  So many
choices, so little time!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com