Subject: Re: [Leica] (M) Flash Synchro
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 07:04:48 -0700

Flash sync for the M?

Gee guys did you ever consider this before worrying about changes to the
sync speed?

If these changes were made for the few who feel they require a higher flash
sync speed......  we'd all have to pay more $$$$$$$$$$$  immediately for an
already very expensive camera. And as you know, we all get twitchies on the
M costs.

May I make a humble suggestion before anything happens to create an ever
increasing $ factor.

Probably 99% of situations where people feel they have to use flash, they
actually could still shoot by available light, with wider apertures and
slightly slower shutter speeds. Or they could use slightly higher ASA film
and still maintain high shutter speeds and smaller apertures.

Unless one requires great depth of field, the wider apertures create a much
nicer look to the photograph by getting rid of messy or distracting
backgrounds. Or softening them to a mush of colour or greys.

I realise the widest possible aperture and highest possible shutter speed
isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you haven't worked in this fashion, why
not give it a shot and see how you like the effect.  Obviously the effect
doesn't work in some picture situations, scenics for example, where one
wouldn't likely use flash anyway,

Others enjoy the super slow speed film for the ...."no-grain" look and
wouldn't consider going to higher ASA film. Again, if you haven't given a
look at the new higher rated films these days, they look very nice and
smooth for high speed.

My main concern is the "cost" factor increase every time topics of "changes
to the M" are broached, particularly the "flash factor!"  It truly is
amazing what one can do with an M and available "when you use what you see
light, is what you put on film light."

I only make this comment simply because we always have folks posting "cost
item concerns" regarding our Leica bits and pieces.

I mean they made this wonderful 35 1.4 aspherical lens, with improvement
over the 35 1.4 Summilux, we've paid dearly for that. However, how many
postings have you seen from new asph. owners who said, "Well I'm keeping my
old Summilux" because I like the Summilux look that I don't get from my new
asph!!

Interesting. So higher flash sync without question will cost more for the
camera folks , period.  Lets not rush into this. thank you.

"available light" ted.  :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant