Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 3000 upgrade?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:10:56 -0400

At 05:30 AM 10/12/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I think that Tina suggested that there's an upgrade on the horizon for the
>Epson 3000, but I've searched the web and the newsgroups for info on
>this.  Can anyone point me to a site or source describing both the
>anticipated upgrade and the likely release date?  I'm itching to upgrade
>my printer and trying to decide between the 3000 and the 1200--which seems
>a tough choice, indeed.
>
>Many thanks in advance.
>
>Chandos

Hi, Chandos -=

It's been discussed on the Epson list, but whether it's just wishful
thinking or a fact, I'm not sure.  As far as the difference in the 1200 and
3000, if you want smaller, more photo-like photos go for the 1200.  If you
need to print large and archival and want to economize on ink, it's the
3000.  The larger prints from the 3000 are supposed to be viewed at a
greater distance so the larger dots aren't apparent.  Here's a kind of
summary from someone on Epson:

" the 1200 has better print quality but tiny cartidges which are expensive.
Lots of
archival inksets are now available for the 3000, and you can buy ink in
bulk for
the 3000, which is very easy to refill.
If you print at 1440 DPI the 3000 printer can print extremely high quality
prints. If you are just going to print small prints, the 1200 would be
better, as
they are finer "grained" and are impossible to tell from real photos,
except they
are sharper and more colorful than most darkroom prints. If you print large
photos the 3000 is the clear winner. Unless you can afford the $2900 for the
Epson 5000 printer. It is now available without the RIP for that price."

My PhotoEx is still going strong so I'm just going to wait and see if the
rumors of a smaller-dot 3000 are true.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com