Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 3000 upgrade?
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:14:51 -0400

Tina and all,

Many, many thanks for the input.  I just ordered the 1200--persuaded by the
imminent availability of Lyson archival inks (including a "hextone"
b&w).  I'm pressured by the need to get an exhibit up by mid-November and
the sense that the 3000 is a bit more size than I need, given the
difference in print quality.  The various links have been very informative,
especially www.inkjetart.com  I've ordered as well a couple of sample packs
and a box of the new Somerset Photo Enhanced.  Anyone else used this yet?

Stuff should all arrive in a few days.  I can hardly wait!

Chandos

>It's been discussed on the Epson list, but whether it's just wishful
>thinking or a fact, I'm not sure.  As far as the difference in the 1200
>and 3000, if you want smaller, more photo-like photos go for the 1200.  If
>you need to print large and archival and want to economize on ink, it's
>the 3000.  The larger prints from the 3000 are supposed to be viewed at a
>greater distance so the larger dots aren't apparent.  Here's a kind of
>summary from someone on Epson:
>
>" the 1200 has better print quality but tiny cartidges which are
>expensive. Lots of
>archival inksets are now available for the 3000, and you can buy ink in
>bulk for
>the 3000, which is very easy to refill.
>If you print at 1440 DPI the 3000 printer can print extremely high quality
>prints. If you are just going to print small prints, the 1200 would be
>better, as
>they are finer "grained" and are impossible to tell from real photos,
>except they
>are sharper and more colorful than most darkroom prints. If you print large
>photos the 3000 is the clear winner. Unless you can afford the $2900 for the
>Epson 5000 printer. It is now available without the RIP for that price."
>
>My PhotoEx is still going strong so I'm just going to wait and see if the
>rumors of a smaller-dot 3000 are true.
>
>Tina
>

>Tina Manley, ASMP
>http://www.tinamanley.com

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown