Subject: Re: [Leica] TMax 400
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:16:17 -0700

Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com wrote:

> I've been using & processing TMax 400, rated at ASA 400 for the past few
> months & really like the results, but now would like to try a roll & push
> the speed to 800 & see what the film is capable of. In checking Kodaks
> recommended processing of the film at ASA 800, I see it does not differ from
> rating it at 400. Does anyone out there use this film at ISO 800? It seems
> to me the negs would come out a little thin processed like I do at 400 if
> the film is shot at 800. I process the film at room temperature, which in my
> apartment comes out at 74 degrees & at ISO 400 is 5 1/2 minutes with TMax
> developer.
>
> Thanks.

The way I have been saying I do it is if the brunettes have unprintable hair:
hair with no detail: black strand less hair then you are underexposing and your
developer isn't giving you the shadows which is what you usually gage your
filmspeed at.
So if that is that case see if you can get away with more printable negs at
600(a half stop push) with your soup.
If not you are back to square one:the number on the box which is doing better
than a lot of people who think the stuff is in the 320 category with the
exception of the use of the T Max developer.
Mark Rabiner
I have seen great looking RC glossy 8x10's from it and Xtol and it has a
reputation for having a great compatibility with it.
I am leery of pushing but some folks here say and show it doable at 75 degrees.