Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and a new M?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 23:02:43 -0700

Andre Jean Quintal wrote:

> Peter K wrote:
> . . .
> I think that if we removed the emotional issue of a new M, and looked at it
> from a business standpoint, redesigning and retooling for an M7 would be
><Snip>
>         Just remember Leica ' U ' models have to be
>         readily sellable worldwide to many
>         more fortunate casual users too . . .
>
>         Andre Jean Quintal

Wasn't the first one a UR or something like that?. Sounds to me like a new beginning.
Let's not forget that it's the Leica R that is not doing well and that the Leica
M IS doing well.
And we are now entering an era of new cheap good lenses for the Leica M.

I've seem so many people with cheep third party optics on premium name cameras
that I think this is a real issue in the package. A huge new selling point.
The masses don't seem to realize the prestige is in the glass at least as much
as in the camera. They don't value glass.
So I predict this added interest jacking up sales on the M6 quite a bit in the
next 12 months!
And they say that every Millennium people reevaluate their priorities and go for
something with some legs.
Mark Rabiner