Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Street Photography debate
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:10:17 -0500

D Khong wrote:

> Friends
>
> During a recent discussion with a friend who takes mainly salon style
> photography, he said that street photography is not artistic photography
> because it breaks too many rules of composition, lighting, etc.
>
> I said that as long as street photography (including candid and some forms
> of documentary photography) captures the essence of life and the heartbeat
> of the environment and does not appear grossly badly taken in terms of say
> horizon, exposure, perspective, it is an artform in itself.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Dan K.

Dan,

I wouldn't have even dignified him with a response. What an anal
retentive attitude. Making photographs in street photography is the
ultimate manifestation of living on the edge. Sure it takes skill in
lighting, composition and posing, etc. to make salon-style photographs.
But to make an evocative, emotional, communicating, connecting,
insightful, meaningful, aesthetically pleasing photograph at the merest
recognition of a fleeting moment, to me, is the ultimate art form.

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/