Subject: [Leica] Re: M6 TTL Fill Flash
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 18:56:49 -0600

>On Mon, 08 Nov 1999 07:39:45 -0800
>Terry Maltby <leicar8@earthlink.net> wrote
>Subject: [Leica] M6 TTL
>Hi, all. Would someone please share their likes and dislikes about the
>M6 TTL and using a flash unit with it? Please specify the unit,
>itself...is it the SF20 or another, e.g. I'm uncomfortable using flash
>with my classic M6 and am wondering how successful the TTL version is.

Terry,
I use my M6HM TTL with a Metz 32 Z-2 and a SCA 3501 adaptor (as recommended
by Dr. Joseph Yao). I like the Metz because you can bounce flash to reduce
harsh shadows(which is not possible with the SF20). For fill flash there
are extra controls on the adaptor which you can set for minus 1 and 2/3
fill as the supposed "optimum" fill flash or any range from minus 3 and 1/3
to plus 3 and 1/3. Setting my Sekonic 308B light meter on flash I have
tested the TTL and fill flash adjustment and find that actually it reduces
fill by 1 F stop when set at minus 1 and 2/3. (the instructions with my SCA
3501 are only for the R8 - there is no mention of the M6TTL - so I may be
doing something wrong??) This is without bounce. The result is quite subtle
but effective - especially in a bright back lit situation - and it extends
the versatility of the M6 for my type of picture taking. However with print
film it is *so* subtle that I don't see much difference between the optimum
fill flash and untoned down full fill flash. I will be experimenting some
more to decrease the amount of fill flash beyond minus 1 and 2/3. The 1/50
max shutter speed for flash is limiting if you are used to fill flash with
other cameras with 1/250 sync speeds. I live in hope that someday there
will be a camera body which will take Leica M lenses with a faster flash
sync. Still, I am grateful for what we have now and still learning about it.
Best Regards,
Howard Cummer.
PS if anyone has instructions for the SCA 3501 which includes the M6TTL
please contact me off list.