Subject: [Leica] Ongoing Digital Debate
From: Deborah Dion <dkdion@home.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 06:46:51 -0500

- --MS_Mac_OE_3025147612_82132_MIME_Part

Tina wrote:

120 years is pretty archival.  The results are absolutely beautiful and
this is only the beginning.  New inks and papers are appearing every
day.  I make Ilfochromes and toned silver B&W, but I'm selling more digital
prints now than darkroom prints.  Check out the Epson e-mail list and I
think you'll be surprised at how advanced digital inks and prints are.

Tina, I agree; digital prints are absolutely beautiful. I did a series a
photographs and had them printed as giclee irises. (Iris 3047 printer with
lyson i-inks estimating an archival life of 75+years). I sell them.
Published studies on longevity of current color negative prints with
fujicolorcrystal archive paper are 60 years, kodak ektacolor and royal
velvet paper as 18 years etc. I am an illustrator primarily, photography is
way second as far as my income goes; so after 20 years of publishing and
selling watercolor based illustrations I do wish to add that these materials
will fade if displayed in direct sunlight. Digital printing is able to meet
the same longevity standards as traditional photographic methods when
correct inks are used according to my research.

Debby

- --MS_Mac_OE_3025147612_82132_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Ongoing Digital Debate</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Tina wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<TT>120 years is pretty archival. &nbsp;The results are absolutely beautifu=
l and <BR>
this is only the beginning. &nbsp;New inks and papers are appearing every <=

day. &nbsp;I make Ilfochromes and toned silver B&amp;W, but I'm selling mor=
e digital <BR>
prints now than darkroom prints. &nbsp;Check out the Epson e-mail list and =
I <BR>
think you'll be surprised at how advanced digital inks and prints are.<BR>
</TT></BLOCKQUOTE><TT><BR>
<BR>
Tina, I agree; digital prints are absolutely beautiful. I did a series a ph=
otographs and had them printed as giclee irises. (Iris 3047 printer with lys=
on i-inks estimating an archival life of 75+years). I sell them. Published s=
tudies on longevity of current color negative prints with fujicolorcrystal a=
rchive paper are 60 years, kodak ektacolor and royal velvet paper as 18 year=
s etc. I am an illustrator primarily, photography is way second as far as my=
 income goes; so after 20 years of publishing and selling watercolor based i=
llustrations I do wish to add that these materials will fade if displayed in=
 direct sunlight. Digital printing is able to meet the same longevity standa=
rds as traditional photographic methods when correct inks are used according=
 to my research.<BR>
<BR>
Debby</TT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --MS_Mac_OE_3025147612_82132_MIME_Part--