Subject: [Leica] R8 the new M5?
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 07:20:55 -0500

It is amazing how important the looks of a product are to it's saleability.
The M4 is often quoted as the peak of M mechanical excellence but IMHO (I
own and have used both - I still use the M5) the M5 is the best ever, but
MY is it ugly. It looks particularly stupid wearing a 90mm tele-elmarit.
OTOH the results are the best and it is a joy to use.
I fear the R8 is the same. I bought one a few weeks ago - only following
praise on the LUG - I consider it to be truly ugly also. BUT what a
fabulous camera. It is by a country mile the most ergonomic and beautiful
feeling camera I have ever used.
Sad if the best R has the same fate as the best M.
Just my 2p
Cheers Frank