Subject: RE: [Leica] What's loud?
From: "Stewart, Alistair" <AStewart@gigaweb.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:30:12 -0500

Mike,

the loudness of the Leica R/F's is largely due to the tension set up in the
shutter/brake system.

Sherry K tends to set them up tight, and hence a little louder than others,
ceteris paribus (which last assumption is unlikely to hold when we're
dealing with 45-50 year old cameras).

Don G. sets them up in the middle range.

Peter Grisafi sets up up s o f t.

Interestingly, the tension seems to reflect the personalities of the
repairers.

I just had a virgin 111f b/d CLA'd, I doubt that it had ever seen a roll of
film before I got my hands on it. It really shouldn't be used, but at $100 +
the cost of a CLA, it is irresistable. Of all the LTM's I've used, it is the
quietest. It is noticeably quieter than any of my M's, which range in age
from 44 to 1.

Plus, with a canon 50/1.8, it produces results from Tri-X that are
indistinguishable at 11x14 from my current R or M 50 'cron.

Alistair