Subject: Re: [Leica] Doug Herr tries R8!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 22:37:10 -0800

Doug Herr wrote: a testimonial to the R8 I believe! :)

>I used the R8 with no winder, and with the standard viewscreen, on my 400mm
>and 560mm f/6.8 Telyts, and my "new" 250mm f/4 Telyt.  All lenses were used
>with Leica shoulder stocks>>>>.  snip

<<<<<I resorted to using the R8's spot meter in manual mode and after an
initial adjustment period found it to be simple to use, precise and gave me
readings identical to those of my trust SL.  This is the first
electronically-controlled camera I've used that handles as well in manual
mode as my SL does.>>>>>>

<<<<<I've got a set of demands few cameras can meet.  This is where the R8
is at its best.  My grip on the camera body is secure and far enough from
the viewfinder that using my left eye is comfortable, and I can still work
the meter pattern switch, film advance lever and shutter speed dial with
ease.>>>>>>

<<<The Verdict?  Listen to Ted and Eric.  This is a wonderful camera.  Simple
>to use, flexible enough for nearly any task, solid, reliable and a joy to
>hold.  If I hadn't already been using the SL for 20 years I'd rate it
>an unconditional "buy".>>>>>>

WOW!!!!!!  So Doug, now tell us how you really feel! :)

Now folks if that isn't a solid testimonial I don't know what is. But all I
have to say is...."Doug baby, you're hooked even if you don't know it at
this very moment."  Wait until the finger twitchies begin while your
fingers are feeling around for those ergonomically set R8 dials and they're
not there.

It's OK just go buy it and worry about paying for it later like the rset of
us.:)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant