Subject: Re: [Leica] classical
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 06:31:43 +1300

I'm currently writing my thesis on the 1968 films of Jean-Luc Godard
and came across the following a few weeks back:

http://www.aaton.com/about/adstock/godard.html

It's a description of a camera Godard had made by Aaton in the late
1970's that would be a companion to an Arri 35 BL, and Godard's
cameraman compared the then prototype to a Mitchell. The idea was to
have something with the portability of 8mm. In 1978/9 the asking
price to order one was 50% which was roughly $10-15000. And you could
have that delivered to you in 1981.

It was at this point that Leica investigated Aaton's marketing and
decided all of their motor's would be marketed on the same principle
;-)

Take care,
Gary

At 4:37 PM -0800 16/11/99, Steve LeHuray wrote:

>Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:45:13 -0400
>From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] classical
>
>Dan C.
>Yes a drop in the bucket. But, when you consider that the cost of sync sound
>(silent, 19db) ARRI 35 camera packages (a package will have a set of Zeiss
>primes and a zoom or two plus 4 magazines, studio rig, follow focus, etc,
>etc) now-a-days are about $500,000 hardly anybody buys cameras anymore, they
>rent them for over $5,000 a-day and most features will have a B-camera plus
>a MOS (too noisy to be used for sound recording) camera. When you consider
>that the average shooting time for a feature is at least 60 days, these
>daily cameras rentals add up. On the 16 mm front, camera packages (ARRI or
>Aaton) really are in the $150,000 range which will include Zeiss, Cook or
>Cannon zoom at about $20,000 plus the set of Zeiss Super Speeds. But when
>you consider that a shooter for Discovery or National Geographic will add
>$1,000 to $1,500 a day to the budget it starts to become a profit center for
>a DP who owns one of these.
>Steve
>Annapolis

"Look Simon, I made love to your mother about a half an hour ago
  and now I'm beginning to think that maybe it wasn't such a good idea."

                           -Henry,  from Hal Hartley's 'Henry Fool'
OO
[_]<|    Gary Elshaw
  /|\        Post-Grad Film Student
               Victoria University