Subject: [Leica] Re: Wetzlar Solms Canada Portugal
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:29:09 -0000

"Mike Gil" <pasuno@hotmail.com> wrote:

>A according to the Leica annual report all sub-assemblies are done in
Portugal with final inspections in Germany.  Has this been true in the
past?
If it has, then it doesnt matter what the lens says on it.

That is probably the case with cameras, but not with the
made-in-Germany lenses.

To judge from a visit to Solms earlier this year, about half of the
production facilities are devoted to lens production and testing, all
the way from rough grinding the glass blanks to inspection of the
final product. We saw cameras being tested, but there was no sign of
camera production, so this would fit with camera sub-assemblies being
done in Portugal with final test and  inspection in Germany.  Folks
like me who treat their cameras gently would be surprised with the
vigour with which tools are applied to the shutter adjustments of an
M6 when it is being set up.

Regards,

Doug Richardson