Subject: [Leica] 12 Best
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 06:48:07 +0000

>>>He is quoted as saying "A dozen good negatives in a year is a good
year."
Let that sink in.<<<

I should think so. I've been in photography since 1980. 19 x 12 = 228.
While I have thousands of prints around the house, I very much doubt
that I have anything like 228 "great" ones, or anyway ones that equal my
best. Furthermore, I doubt very much that any photographer's truly great
images add up to as many as 12 a year throughout his or her career. I'm
sure there are some exceptions, and of course it depends upon how you
set your standards. It's not really arguable. Point is, 12 great
photographs a year is quite a high output.

The odd thing to me--a related point--is that most photographers never
bother to figure out WHICH of their pictures are their best. Can you put
your hands on a set of prints which you firmly believe are your twelve
best pictures from last year? I can't.

- --Mike

"The difference between a professional and a dilettante is that the
professional has a portfolio."