Subject: Re: [Leica] Kriegsmarine U Boat Contax
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 07:29:27 -0800

Bill Larsen wrote:

Does anyone have an idea of what the complete photo equipment issuance was for a
submarine?  (I am never going to complain about having to develop in the bathroom
again).

> Regards, Bill

Not sure about the Contax,  but the US Navy did have a Kodak 35 periscope kit
during W.W.II, along with a portable darkroom which disassembled compactly in a
wooden box.

Strangely enough, during the 50's the US Navy also used a 70mm  "Combat Graphic"
with reflex housing for periscope use.  This camera looked much like a Contax
rangefinder on steroids.   The reflex housing was only about 10 times the size and
weight of a Visoflex, made out of industrial grade steel.   I can't imagine it was
very popular aboard a sub.

At one time I owned a Combat Graphic sub outfit,  but I wasn't able to buy the
Kodak 35 outfit.

Stephen Gandy