Subject: Re: [Leica] Kriegsmarine U Boat Contax
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:27:20 -0500

At 02:07 AM 11/23/1999 EST, LEICAMAN56@aol.com wrote:
>Well, I went searching in the basement and found the catalog.  It was from
>the Cornwall auction of October 1990.  There are 4 photos of the camera and
>related parts.  The camera is a Contax I in black paint.  The camera takes
>photos in stereo while attached to the periscope.  The camera is engraved
>with the eagle and swastika over an upper case "M" which would indicate
>Kriegsmarine.  The engraved description is Stereo-Kamera II Nr. 3. The
serial
>number engraved is 76199.

Thanks, Bill!  Most interesting.  This is not a regular production Contax
I, as the regular production all had letter prefixes as was the custom of
Zeiss Ikon, so I would suspect this camera might have been reworked at Jena.

I do not understand why it was stereo, though.  A periscope yields a
monocular image.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!