Subject: Re: [Leica] wich lens?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:34:10 -0800

At 08:49 AM 11/24/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>I was wondering if there was an enormous difference between the 19mm and the
>21mm for R? I don't have it but I own a 24mm elmarit 2.8 R. Could someone
>give me some advice about these three; and at least, is there any clue,
>after having almost all the M lenses refreshed, that Leica will now refresh
>all the R lenses?

Depends on which 19 you're talking about. The new one is an absolutely
fabulous lens. Leica has no need to refresh some of their R lenses. The 24
should be the next, in my opinion. It's an old formula, designed by
Minolta. It's a very good lens, but seeing what they can do with the 19 and
28 (both rather new formula) makes me wonder how good a 24 Summicron could
be. But from what I'm hearing, they're not planning on any mass upgrade of
the R system lenses that need it.

>I would like also to know wich lens is at equal distance in terms of vision
>between the 50mm and the 24mm, 35 or 28?

Distance? If I had a 50 and a 24, I'd probably go for the 35. But you might
prefer the 28. Keep in mind, the 35mm Summilux is  a very good lens -
nearly as good as the M ASPH lenses, but the Summicron has a very high
resistance to flare. The 28 is one of the newer R lenses, and it's really fine.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Always be on the lookout for conspicuousness (or, It's hard to tell if
someone is inconspicuous).