Subject: Re: [Leica] True Grit In Life and LUG
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:45:10 -0800

Jonathan Borden wrote:
><Snip>  My thinking is
> that there is no limit on the number of pleasing flower, cat, or small
> children pictures, not that millions of these ought be displayed in museums
> or art galleries for that matter, but one of the things that is great about
> photography is that millions of photographers can love their own pictures.
> Thus there is no limit on the number of great photographs. Remember, AA has
> been criticized in the same, vein, pretty pictures, landscapes,  no 'higher'
> meaning etc.
>
> Jonathan Borden

I've gotta take the blame for implying Cat pix are uncool and not being more specific.
Certain subject matter has been overdone and/or is easy to make inane.
Cat Calendars is what I had in mind, posters.
I photograph cats all the time, And I have seen some great Cat photography.
Flowers are kind of overly gorgeous to begin with but they just don't photograph
well even assuming the unexpectedly difficult technical end is in control.
With flowers in my opinion the problem with them is that an average real thing,
natural cluster or formal bouquet is better than a fairly high quality
photograph of them. Color dyes don't have it like the color in a real flower.
And black and white abstracts them to a difficult degree which few can deal
with. I just think in the case of flowers...
You just have to have been there.
Mark :-) Rabiner
snip them and bring them home, they're just going to die anyway. Don't get caught!