Subject: Re: [Leica] Pellicle pop
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 18:28:43 -0800

Donal Philby wrote:

> Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote:
>
> > Bear in mind that there is also an EOS-1N RS which has a pellicle
> > (transparent) mirror that does not flip.  So you can have an SLR that allows
>
> Was speaking to friend a couple days ago who does some amount of celeb
> photos, premiers, news, etc. and he has an EOS RS just because he can
> see the flash and know exactly the expression he captured.  He used to
> use Nikons and Leica M and shoot wars and annual reports, but now a
> devoted EOS user in his more pedestrian life now.
>
> donal
A EOS RS or a camera with a pellicle would seem to be an ideal cross in effect
between an SLR and a Rangefinder camera.
You might feel like you were shooting a Rangefinder camera with no blackout and
vibration from mirror flap.
You have a nice groundglass which flashes when the flash flashes!
My worry is with strong backlit situations which for me are common the bounce
around effect of shooting through an angled semimirror.
The results would seem to be unpredictable. I wouldn't mind the slightly slower
effective film speed and a slightly darker groundglass.
A used EOS RS at a good price would be tempting. But I would want to rent or
borrow one first. A shame affordable pellicles are not currently being made. I'm
sure Canon is still working on them...as they try to make a better Xerox machine.
Mark Rabiner