Subject: [Leica] Re: OT - Apple comments
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:26:54 -0800

I won't belabor the question of Mr. Gates' "marketing genius" with long
elaboration of the Justice Department findings on how Microsoft
Corporation has achieved much of their wealth. Suffice it to say that Mr.
Gates is more a skilled business player, learned in Tsung Tzu's "Art of
War" than a marketing genius.

>A little objectivity here, please? I, too, plan on getting a G4 one
>of these days for my PhotoShop work. But 5 percent of the market is not
>"back from the dead." Apple could have been where Microsoft is today - had
>they had Gates marketing genius. Instead, they are "back from the dead" as a
>boutique manufacturer.

To correct the misstatement quoted above:
Apple Computer's market penetration is more like 12-15% of the
marketplace (we have over 60% of new computer sales in the consumer
market space in Japan right now with the iMac and iBook; the iBook is
currently the best selling laptop in the US and possibly the world
according to the independent sales reports in the financial papers this
past Wednesday). Apple's stock price, long undervalued, closed Thursday
at about 110 (10 points higher than Microsoft at present), and is rated a
buy by most of the stock market analysts and brokerages. The Power
Macintosh G4 computers are the fastest, most powerful computers in the
price class in the world, rated by PC Magazine and other independent
testers on Intel's benchmarks. The PowerBook G3/400 is also the most
powerful laptop computer in the world presently, rated by the same
standards.

These are not the signs of a "boutique manufacturer".

Godfrey