Subject: Re: [Leica] Decisions, decisions (on topic - long)
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 08:04:50 +0100

Hi Mitch,

I would definitely recommend buying a second-hand M6. Having a body with another
film is definitely important, as you point out yourself. If you need to keep
weight down (and raise additional funds) then you should also sell the lenses
you do not use. Upgrading from the Summaron 35mm to a Summicron 35mm sounds like
a good idea, and the pre-ASPH Summicrons are quite inexpensive (relatively
speaking, of course).

The 24mm is a great lens, but it may be hard to find on the second-hand market,
as people are not getting rid of them--they are too good! You also have the
additional finder to contend with. If compactness is the main consideration AND
you want a wider lens, then perhaps you should keep the Summaron and add a 28mm
Elmarit instead of a 35mm Summicron.

Nathan

Mitch Zeissler wrote, in part:

> I will have enough funds in the near future to either procure an additional
> M body *or* a wide angle lens, but probably not both.  My thoughts (which
> I've been wrestling with since this past spring, while saving up the
> necessary funds) are as follows:
>
> -  Sell the IIIf and Xenon to free up additional capital.  Possibly the
> Summicron 50 and the Hektor as well, since I use them so infrequently.
>
> -  Purchase another M body (new or used) so I can have both color and mono
> films instantly available.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium