Subject: [Leica]The value of Popular Photography
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:47:13 GMT

Mike, I have learned the sad lesson in life that just because you got a job
on a magazine writing about something doesn't mean you know a damn thing
about it.

So what is the value of the mag?  MARKETING.  Leica should be thrilled that
they got a decent review in Pop Photo, not because the testing is worth the
paper it is written on, but because that one crappy biased magazine will
generate more sales of M's and lenses than all the "M campaign" brochures in
the world.

It has exposure, and that is the one thing Leica really needs now.
Too many people just don't know the company even exists.

I once again refer back to the Mercedes case study...Fix your product, (Get
AF so people will stop bitching that you don't have it).  Fix your
prices(build a trade up "teared pricing" structure into your price matrix.
Don't try to make a mint on the basic stuff).  Be damn sure you fix your
image(get more articles in crappy mags like Pop Photo and Practical
Photography).  Or to paraphrase our fine ex-VP Dan Q.  "Or not to have an
image, that would be bad to!"

I for one don't think Leica is out of the running.  Complaints that Herr
Cohn is not moving fast enough don't recognize the reality of the photo
industry.  Full camera body change-overs take time and money.  Leica is
short on time, and VERY short on money.

It may be time to start thinking MERGER.  Possibly with another German
company that would be sensititive to the history of the marque.

Leica-Agfa anyone?  I'm sure Bayer has enough cash:)

Best wishes
Dan