Subject: [Leica] Help on shooting available light pictures
From: "J Beal" <jbeal@bendnet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 10:48:05 -0800

Hello All,
   I have my M4-P and Summicron-M 50 for almost a year now.  It's finally
beginning to "feel right" in my hands and my Nikon's seem clunky by
comparison.  My problem now is being able to use the equipment properly.
   I have always gravitate to available light photography, but I don't seem
to have the proper technique or experience to pull it off.  Any time I have
use 800-3200 ASA film it seem VERY grainy, to the point of looking like an
abstract painting.  I'm usually shooting at 1/15 or 1/30 (to minimize shake)
@ 2.0 and seem to have accurate focus at these settings.  I realize a
Summilux-M 35 or Noctilux and/or access to a B&W lab for custom development
would be most desirable, but it's not in the cards just yet.  Could any one
on the LUG comment on any of the following:
 - good resource material (books, websites)
 - most suitable film for low light
 - techniques you use in available light
 - reasonable expectations of available light shots
As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
John Beal II, Oregon