Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod recommendations
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:58:01 -0500

The one I saw is not on either the B&H catalog or on Manfrotto's web site
at www.manfrotto.com.  Maybe it's a new model?  The locks for the legs are
Gitzo-like, traditional twist-locks, NOT the lever-locks like many other
Bogen models.  They grips were about 4-5" long though, very comfortable.

Hmm, regarding your Gitzo, you should call the importer.  They shouldn't
bind.  Maybe they have dirt in them? The two lubricants I would consider
are Talc and powered graphite.  Gitzo is a top quality product.  I have two
sets of traditional Gitzo legs and a monopod, one set I've have for 20
years!  Once I sent it back to the importer in NJ for replacement of the
leg seals, and it' been much better since.

Skip

At 12/19/99 06:50 PM  -0800, you wrote:

>Which model was it, Skip? The 440?
>
>B&H shows the following prices for Bogen/Manfrotto carbon fiber tripods:
>3-Section tripod (#3443) $363.50
>4-Section tripod (#3444) $369.95
>Their web site does not show the new model yet.
>
>I use the Gitzo 1228 but am not happy with twist-locks as they seem to bind.
>I don't know if the problem of excessive binding is more acute with carbon
>fiber. Talcum powder seems to help a little. I am thinking of switching to a
>different brand such as Bogen if their models offer the same rigidity.
>
>Joe Codispoti

Skip Williams
Westfield, NJ
skipwilliams@pobox.com