Subject: [Leica] 90mm Elmarit/Summicron Quandry
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:36:06 EST

Hi Roger,

The response from the people that I have sold 90f2.0 APO ASPH's has been all
good and the reviews have been complementary as well. (see Erwin's write up
in the LUG archives.)

Right now it seems to be a question of price and availability...it seems that
pipeline is really dripping them out one-by-one these days. I'd be surprised
if you could find five for sale worldwide TODAY. However, that will change
and the prices will most likely drop along with greater availability.

I'd say that the weight and size difference isn't that much of an issue for
most people...unless you are mountain climbing etc. with them. They are both
somewhat big for M lenses (both 90's) but not too big for those used to SLR's.

So far what I've heard is that it is worth it...

Just my .02,
Rich

<<Hi luggers,

Just looking for views on whether to get the new APO f2/90 Summicron

or the f2.8 /90 Elmarit when I buy my new lens for my M6 next month.

I don't expect to use the extra stop all that often, except possibly

for the reduced depth of field.  The weight advantage of the Elmarit

is also in its favor as I expect to use the 90mm out and about.

Another factor, small but difficult to ignore, is that I can get it

in silver chrome to match my Leica.  I'm also wary about buying a

relatively new product.  The reported stiffness after pressing the

Summicron's focusing ring is a bit off-putting.

The main question is which is the better lens?  Does the

Summicron as a later lens offer better resolution and contrast at 2.8

than the Elmarit?  From reading Erwin's test this would appear to be

so.  But would it be so apparent in practise that I need to bring it

into account.  I should say that I will be using the lens for

enlargements up to 20 x 16.

Comments would be welcome.

Regards

Roger Underwood>>