Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm Elmarit/Summicron Quandry
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:10:35 -0800

At 7:52 PM +0000 12/20/99, Roger Underwood wrote:
>Hi luggers,
>
>Just looking for views on whether to get the new APO f2/90 Summicron
>or the f2.8 /90 Elmarit when I buy my new lens for my M6 next month.
>
>I don't expect to use the extra stop all that often, except possibly
>for the reduced depth of field.  The weight advantage of the Elmarit
>is also in its favour as I expect to use the 90mm out and about.
>Another factor, small but difficult to ignore, is that I can get it
>in silver chrome to match my Leica.  I'm also wary about buying a
>relatively new product.  The reported stiffness after pressing the
>Summicron's focusing ring is a bit off-putting.
>
>The main question is which is the better lens?  Does the the
>Summicron as a later lens offer better resolution and contrast at 2.8
>than the Elmarit?  From reading Erwin's test this would appear to be
>so.  But would it be so apparent in practise that I need to bring it
>into account.  I should say that I will be using the lens for
>enlargements up to 20 x 16.
>
>Comments would be welcome.

Here they come.

If you are considering the E-90 in chrome, your weight advantage goes the
other way. The f/2 would be lighter.

The f/2 has effectively no vignetting, which is optically one of its main
advantages over the E-90 and the previous f/2.

There seems to be less flare with the f/2.

The f/2 has a slightly greater diameter, but essentially the same length.

Mine doesn't bind at all, and I now grip it tightly lest I whack it like I
did another new lens.

I doubt that you will notice a lot of difference in resolution or contrast
in most shooting circumstances, but you _will_ have one more f-stop with
the Apo-Asph to not worry about.

It's probably more a matter of money than anything else. You can pick up a
clean used chrome E-90 for hardly more than half the price of the Apo-90,
and you won't find one of those used in the next while.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com