Subject: Re: [Leica] Why not Slik carbon?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:29:03 -0800

At 11:31 AM +0300 12/21/99, Bernard wrote:

>> There was also a thin-walled Slik carbon available,
>
>Which is much lighter than anything else out there. This list always
>speaks about Gitzo, though. Is the Slik carbon something too new, or are
>there reasons it's not as popular as the Gitzo. The weightlessness is
>very impressive, and it's got the same load capacity. I don't see why
>the walls would be thinner, btw, because there's is no weight you can
>economize on carbon; it doesn't weigh anything at all. The weight of all
>these tripods is from the metal parts.

Yes, the Gitzo was the first that was generally available. Apparently the
walls  of the Slik _are_ thinner. If the nominal load capacity is the same
as the Gitzo, I would treat that with caution. It certainly doesn't feel as
strong or as stable. But again, for a Leica M outfit I would probably
recommend the Slik as completely sufficient. Only thing is, with the Slik
you will have to weight it down in high winds a lot sooner than if you are
using the Gitzo. It seems an almost ideal travel tripod.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com