Subject: Re: [Leica] 15mm Heliar choice of finish
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:37:08 -0700

Gary Klein wrote:

> Next month I plan on plunking down the cash to get a new Heliar with a screw
> to m adapter for my M.  Which finish style tyof the lenses you have seen
> looks better done.

The other week, Jerry at Werner's in Denver had both finishes in stock
and I spent a good deal of time agonizing before going with silver.
Unlike a Leica lens, there's no weight penalty when you go with silver.

In the end, I went with the silver finish: It's a good match for a
newish M6 and should be an okay one (probably duller) for the IIIf RD I
just bought. The front of the silver lens looks a bit jagged (nothing to
do with bad machining and everything to do with the way the lenshood is
baffled). The black finish masks this, but I thought the rather thin
engravings were easier to read on the silver model.

- --

Jeff
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado