Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod recommendations
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 05:04:09 -0700

"Henning J. Wulff" wrote:

> I find the leg locks on the 1228 very nice; wide enough and quick enough.
[snip]

The revised model sure would be good to have in the cold season though!
I have the original, and under sub-freezing conditions, I sometimes do
wish for a larger gripping surface on those leg locks, so working those
(rather stiff when cold) leg locks would be easier on the hands. Bit
tricky too, to plant firmly onto an icy landscape since it has little
mass and only wide rubber tips on the legs.

For what it's worth, Mamiya also offers carbon fiber tripods. They're
very attractive and a little cheaper but the Gitzo models have much
stouter hinges and I'd trust these more for staying wobble-free.
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado
http://www.boulder.net/~4season