Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder or SLR?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 14:25:23 -0800

Tom Coleman wrote:

>My wife purchased my a Leica M series range finder for Christmas and I'm
>thrilled.  Up until now, I've used a Minolta SLR and have enjoyed the
>through the lens focusing and zoom lenses which allow flexibility in
>composition.
>
>I'm really torn now whether I should keep the Leica M or exchange it for
>the R series SLR.  Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated!>>>>>

Hi Tom,

A couple of things....First and MOST IMPORTANT!!! Hang onto your wife for a
long long time, certainly as long as she's buying you leica cameras! :):):)

Secondly, keep the M camera now you have it and look for lenses to
compliment the body until you get the feel, once that happens get rid of
the Minolta fast, along with all the bits and pieces that go with it. :)

There isn't any choice between a Minolta and an M Leica, I'd wait until you
have some extra bread on hand and dump the Minolta and go R Leica, R8 of
course!:) But not necessarily so, as an R7 which I beleive prices are at a
good rate right now, is a very fine R camera.

Welcome to the club and let the crew know how you're making out and if we
can be of help. Of course you realise we'll probably end-up wrecking havoc
with your life when it comes to purchasing Leica. But then you sound like
you've a very understanding wife in relation to Leica's so I doubt we can
create too many problems.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant