Subject: Re: [Leica] Pro or no
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 09:13:31 EST

In a message dated 1/6/00 12:47:24 AM, howard.390@osu.edu writes:

>So, you pros, doesn't this bother you?  How do you keep things fun and
>interesting?

I can speak only for myself. I went to college to be a shooter. I entered the
workforce as a shooter and have continued to earn my living as a photographer
and now photographer/writer/editor for 15 years now. With any luck I'll
continue. It's interesting work.You meet interesting people. Plus,
photography is fun.  I enjoy doing it. It's something I know quite a bit
about and am somewhat competent at. Like I tell people who ask, it beats
working.

But the funny thing is, if I weren't getting paid for it I would hardly shoot
a frame. This probably sounds odd to those with a passion for photography but
I do it as a job -- a great job, mind you, but a job. I admire people who
have a love for photography that is so strong they HAVE to do it. I don't
have that. My love is for people and the privledge of stepping into their
lives for a while. Photography and writing allows me to do that.

I guess in the end, I would be careful about advising anyone to go into
photography as a career if their love really is the photography itself. You
may find it ends up a JOB and you end up hating it. Being a working shooter
means making pictures of things that DON'T interest you and being creative
when you don't feel particularly creative. It means getting it up and putting
it on and getting it done day by day -- not just when the light is right and
not just when the mood strikes. Again, it is a job. Is that what you want
your photography to be?

Bob (loves his job) McEowen