Subject: Re: [Leica] Get rid of SLR's?
From: thomas boehm <toboehm@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 01:47:36 -0800 (PST)

- --- Chris Birmele <cbirmele@Rational.Com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to join Leicaland ... I often hear that SLR's and Rangefinder
> complement each other.  If yes in what respect?

hello chris,
like many others i think, this is right: SLR and rangefinders REALLY
complement each other - you should not throw away your nice
canon-equipment... but this also depends on the photography you like to do

i personally work in photojournalism - and my main equipment for that is a
leica M6 with the 35 summicron, a nikon F4s with the 80-200 1:2,8, a 20
mm, a macro 105; while i can cover the most of my photography (about 70 zo
80 %) with the M6 and 35, for the needs of tele-photography the SLR is the
better and (over 90 mm) only choice - as well for super-wide-angles (i
only sometimes use the 21 with my M6);
also my private photography (at this time mostly family-snaps with the
children) is dominatet by the M6 - beside a M3 with a 90 mm)

there are benefits with SLR-photography you will miss, if you work only
with a rangefinder (image control with teles and wideangles, macro- or
close-up-photography, ttl-flash-control with faster time-setting, ...)

and there are benefits with a rangefinder-camera, you will learn to love
(unobtrusive, light and small equipment, leica-glass, easy and precise
focusing, silence, bright viewfinder...). if i dont want to carry much and
i know, that i dont need a long tele (when i climb on the mountains), i
take just the M6 and the 35, maybe the 90 too, and have everything i need
for nice pictures;

i think: enjoy the best of both worlds...

regards, thomas
imst, austria (no, whe have no cangaroos in austria!)