Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographer of the Century
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:42:04 +0000

LUGnuts,

I've contemplated this subject some and have a real problem even with
the consideration.  It comes down to this:  each artist has unique
vision, but a vision influenced by culture, experience, etc.  There can
be no "best."  We are enriched by so many view points.  To select one
viewpoint is to miss the point of art for the viewer:  to open our eyes
and mind and heart.  Maybe that is a little strong, but consider just
whose vision you would allow as a censor to be the one, the best, the
only, to the elimination of all the rest.  Given my Taoist inclinations,
the thought of singling out one photographer is like deciding what is
the best herb and throwing away the rest.

Ken Heyman's photos touch the simple human experience in me, Errnst Haas
stirs the fires of wonder at the beauty of the world, Eugene Richards
shows me worlds of suffering, Salgado demonstrates how we can have
dignity no matter the circumstances of our lives, Kertez reminds me of
the simple magic of life that surrounds us, Emil Schultheiss showed the
glory of human accomplishments, and Werner Bischof showed us the
elegance of everyday life, and Hiro the often unobserved beauty  of
everyday objects.

Is there one writer of the century?  One painter, filmmaker, reporter,
musician?  We live in context.  We produce in context.   We are all part
of a continuum.

We are blessed to have a medium that kindles our passions--both as
observer and as artist.  That is enough.  Embrace the diversity.

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com