Subject: [Leica] Say, about that Heliar 15mm . . .
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:29:13 EST

I'm about to ask one of those questions I think are really dumb when I see
them on newsgroups and the like. Basically, "What should I do?" Like any of
you would know what I should do. Anyway, here goes . . .

I can't say that I've ever had a strong desire for a lens wider than the 24mm
I usually use or the 20mm (Nikon) we have at work. Still, this 15mm Heliar is
pretty tempting. It just seems like a fella ought to go out and buy one, if
for no other reason than they're so cheap. Plus, the consensus seems to be
that it's good enough optics that there isn't any reason NOT to buy it from a
quality point of view.

So, you Heliar users . . . what do you DO with a lens that wide? Has it
opened your eyes? Made you see in a different way? Given you new, unexplored
capabilities? Has it made a difference in your photography in a "don't leave
home without it" sort of way. In other words (and here's the stupid
question), "should I buy this lens?"

I'm trying to think back to all the times my back has been against the wall
with the 24mm in hand. That alone seems reason enough. But what do you guys
say . . .

Bob (wider . . .  no, wider . . . ) McEowen