Subject: [Leica] RE: The priest the professor and the engineer was RE: [Leica] Mi ke's new relig
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:55:51 -0500

Peter K. wrote:

I would think one would buy the equipment that allows one to create the art
of a photograph.
A sharp lens will not produce a great image, only a photographer can do
this
regardless of what [tool] they use.  Personally, I would rather see an HCB,
Avedon, or other image taken by a Brownie that one by a artistic illiterate
taken with a very expensive Leica.
<<<

I'll agree in principal with you, Peter.  I also want to emphasize that my
"artistic vision" if I may describe it as such usually does not include
ghost images, flare, dull colors, lost highlight or shadow detail or other
such artifacts of weak optical design.

Many manufacturers offer some lenses that meet my requirements but rather
than purchase and carry one or two lenses from each camera maker where that
system has a particularly good lens, and a camera body (plus backup) for
each lens line I'd rather standardize on a camera system where most if not
all the lenses meet my needs.  If I ever want any of these optical effects
I can always add a UV filter.

Many of my favorite photographs could have been made with a very
inexpensive camera; these are the one made under ordinary, safe, sedate
conditions.  Others among my favorites wouldn't have worked out very well
if the lens had played some optical tricks on me and added flare or washed
out the colors, still others would have been impossible without the well
thought-out ergonomic design of Leica cameras, and a few were possible only
because the camera took a licking and kept on clicking.

If nessesary I'll use a Ricoh P&S and I may even come up with a photo I
like but for consistently reliable performance from my camera equipment I
can't afford anything less than a Leica.  I'm a weekend photographer who is
passionate about photography and my time in the field is precious.  I can't
afford to have rare opportunities trashed by equipment that doesn't meet my
needs.

Doug Herr
Sacramento