Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions for Steve AND Erwin re new rangefinders
From: Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:06:43 -0800

>  Now, Steve, this is a deceptively-simple one:
>
> What is an affordable entry-level Leica? You mentioned this in reference to
> the planned M-mount Cosina. The M6 is a pretty basic camera, feature wise,
> and I am curious as to how you would strip it down.
>
> Cheers
> Dante

My belief is that a Bessa M body selling for $600-$700  will substantially effect
M6 sales by taking away many first time buyers.  as well as sales from present M
owners looking for a 2nd body.

To be competitive, an entry level M need not match the Bessa's price, but neither
can it be substantially more -- the first timer's will only pay so much for that
little red button.   I would place the entry level M at $250 more than the
average retail Bessa M price -- whatever that ends up being.

I would not try to sell a meterless M6 as entry level.  This product would
probably fly and develop its own niche with experienced users, but not with the
Leica newbies.

In order to keep meet the price target, and not alienate M6TTL buyers who pay the
full pop, I think the only solution is a new entry level body.   An entry level M
does not have to focus 135's.    Perhaps it would be a good time to bring out a
CL2.   A new small compact M would be lower priced, and offer definite choices to
the buyer between a CL2 and a M6.

The entry level M  could be sold to the newbie with "Would you rather buy a
COSINA or a real Leica for only $250 more?"   The experienced M user would have
it all figured out, and just go for it.

Stephen Gandy
M6 Repair Researcher